16 Apr Natural Justice – What does this mean to me?
The best way to understand this is to consider how you would like to be treated if allegations were made against you.
- You want to be considered “innocent” until it is proven otherwise.
- You want to hear what the substance of the allegations is.
- You want relevant people interviewed.
- You want to be able to respond to those allegations.
- You want the option of having a support person with you during the process.
- You want an unbiased person to investigate and consider the issue/s.
- If an adverse finding is made against you, then you want the opportunity to appeal and present any mitigating circumstances (unusual or exceptional circumstances).
Another term that you may hear is Procedural Fairness. Both terms relate to the obligation to adopt fair procedures which are appropriate and adapted the circumstances of the particular case.